Denton Offuts Store
Title:
Denton Offuts Store
Lincoln's New Salem Illinois (IL), Real Photo unused


First Berry-Lincoln Store. U. S. Post Office, New Salem State Park
Title:
First Berry-Lincoln Store. U. S. Post Office, New Salem State Park
Lincoln's New Salem Illinois (IL), Chrome unused

Description:
James and Rowan Herndon, brothers, built this store building, probably in the fall of 1831, and engaged in the mercantile business. James Herndon, at that time a bachelor and boarding at the Rutledge Tavern, sold his interest to William F. Berry early in the summer of 1832, and later in the same year, Rowan sold his interest to Abraham Lincoln, taking Lincoln's note in payment. About January, 1833, Berry and Lincoln purchased the store of Reuben Radford and moved across the street to the second Berry-Lincoln store. Lincoln served as Postmaster from May 7, 1833 to May 30, 1836, when the office was discontinued. it was re-established as a Post Office, February 12, 1940 as Lincoln's New Salem, Illinois Dexter Press



Entrance - New Salem State Park
Title:
Entrance - New Salem State Park
Lincoln's New Salem Illinois (IL), Chrome unused

Description:
Situated 20 miles northwest of Springfield Illinois, on highways 97 and 123, historic New Sale State Park presents a thrilling portrait of pioneer life more than a century ago. Abraham Lincoln, as a young man, lived, worked and studied here from 1831 to 1837, enroute to his destiny of unique greatness Dexter Press, Inc


Isaac Burner's Residence, New Salem State Park
Title:
Isaac Burner's Residence, New Salem State Park
Lincoln's New Salem Illinois (IL), Linen unused

Description:
ISAAC BURNER CABIN Isaac Burner with his family and Isaac Gulihur are said to have come to New Salem from Kentucky in 1829 or 1830. The records show that on October 25, 1832, Isaac Burner purchased two lots from John M. Camron, and wife, Polly, for $10,00. In 1835 the Burner family left New Salem and moved to the country about six miles southwest of Knoxville. Historic New Salem State Park is located near Petersburg on Highways 97 and 123 about 17 miles northwest of Springfield, Illinois



Tread-Mill, Furnishing Power to Drive Samuel Hill's Carding Machine, New Salem State Park
Title:
Tread-Mill, Furnishing Power to Drive Samuel Hill's Carding Machine, New Salem State Park
Lincoln's New Salem Illinois (IL), Linen unused

Description:
The dominating industry during the summer months has, following much research, been rebuilt, using wooden cogs and gears. Power is furnished by oxen walking a tread mill. New Salem State Park is located near Petersburg on Highways 97 and 123, about 17 miles northwest of Springfield, Illinois


Wool Carding Machine, New Salem State Park
Title:
Wool Carding Machine, New Salem State Park
Lincoln's New Salem Illinois (IL), Chrome unused

Description:
Samuel Hill, owner of one of the stores, erected a carding mill wool house in the spring of 1835. He advertised that he would commence carding on May 1. "The machines are nearly new and in first rate order, and I do not hesitate to say, the best work will be done. Just bring your wool in good order and there will be no mistake." The mill was operated by Hardin Bale, who later purchased it from Hill. The power was furnished by two oxen treading circular inclined wheel. The double carder typical of this period was built by the Schofield Brothers in Byfield, Mass., in 1804. The idea and patterns were smuggled into America from England.



New Salem State Park
Title:
New Salem State Park
Lincoln's New Salem Illinois (IL), Chrome unused

Description:
A colorful link with the past is added to New Salem village by the authentic Conestoga wagon drawn by two huge oxen


Miller and Kelso Residence, New Salem State Park
Title:
Miller and Kelso Residence, New Salem State Park
Lincoln's New Salem Illinois (IL), Chrome unused

Description:
Joshua Miller and Jack Kelso married sisters and built this duplex in 1832. Kelso spent much time fishing, trapping and reading. Lincoln and Kelso studied the classics of literature together.



Isaac Burner Cabin
Title:
Isaac Burner Cabin
Lincoln's New Salem Illinois (IL), Chrome unused

Description:
Isaac Burner Cabin New Salem State Park Lincoln's New Salem, Illinois Mr. and Mrs. Isaac Burner came to New Salem about 1829 or 1830. Mr. Burner's occupation was carpenter and handyman in the village community. A son, Daniel Green, clerked for some time in the Berry-Lincoln store. Abraham Lincoln boarded with the Burner family, sleeping and studying by candle light in a loft above the family living area Dexter Press


Doctor John Allen's Residence, New Salem State Park
Title:
Doctor John Allen's Residence, New Salem State Park
Lincoln's New Salem Illinois (IL), Linen unused

Description:
DR. JOHN ALLEN CABIN Doctor John Allen came to New Salem in 1830. In 1833 he built a three-room log residence and on march 27, 1934, married Mary E. Moore. Because of his extensive practice, he became one of New Salem's most prosperous citizens. He was a devout Presbyterian and established the village's first Sunday School and Temperance Society in his house. Historic New Salem State Park is located near Petersburg on Highways 97 and 123 about 17 miles northwest of Springfield, Illinois



Robert Johnson's Residence, New Salem State Park
Title:
Robert Johnson's Residence, New Salem State Park
Lincoln's New Salem Illinois (IL), Linen unused

Description:
Robert Johnson, the wheelwright and furniture maker, built a log cabin, probably during the year 1831. The Johnsons, who had three children, were a family of modest means. They were devout members of the Cumberland Presbyterian Church and regularly attended the Rock Creek camp meetings. Historic New Salem State Park is located near Petersburg on Highways 97 and 123 about 17 miles northwest of Springfield, Illinois


Berry-Lincoln Store, New Salem State Park
Title:
Berry-Lincoln Store, New Salem State Park
Lincoln's New Salem Illinois (IL), Linen unused

Description:
George Warburton, in 1830, erected New Salem's only sheathed structure. Later the Chrisman Brothers and Reuben Radford also operated stores here. In January, 1833, William F. Berry and Abraham Lincoln moved here from their first store (now the U.S. Post Office). Lincoln served a portion of his postmastership in both buildings. During the early summer of 1833 Lincoln sold his interest to Berry, who later sold the enterprise to the Trent Brothers. The Trents suddenly left the country and Berry resumed the business until he died in 1835. The large room was the store proper, while the rear lean-to served as a store room and, for a time, as Lincoln's bedroom. Historic New Salem State Park is located near Petersburg on Highways 97 and 123 about 17 miles northwest of Springfield, Illinois



First Berry-Lincoln Store, New Salem State Park
Title:
First Berry-Lincoln Store, New Salem State Park
Lincoln's New Salem Illinois (IL), Chrome unused

Description:
U. S. Post Office. James and Rowan Herndon, brothers, built this store building, probably in the fall of 1831, and engaged in the mercantile business. James Herndon, at that time a bachelor and boarding at the Rutledge Tavern, sold his interest to William F. Berry early in the summer of 1832,and later in the same year, Rowan sold his interest to Abraham Lincoln, taking Lincoln's note in payment. About January,1833, Berry and Lincoln purchased the store of Reuben Radford and moved across the street to the second Berry-Lincoln store. Lincoln served as postmaster from May 7,1833 to May 30,1836, when the office was discontinued. It was re-established as a Post Office, February 12, 1940 as Lincoln's New Salem Illinois.


Entrance New Salem State Park
Title:
Entrance New Salem State Park
Lincoln's New Salem Illinois (IL), Chrome unused

Description:
Situated 20 miles northwest of Springfield, Illinois, on highway 97 and 123, historic New Salem State ark presents a thrilling portrait of pioneer life more than a century ago. Abraham Lincoln, as a young man, lived, worked and studied here from 1831 to 1837, enroute to his destiny of unique greatness.



First Berry-Lincoln Store, New Salem State Park
Title:
First Berry-Lincoln Store, New Salem State Park
Lincoln's New Salem Illinois (IL), Chrome unused

Description:
U. S. Post Office. James and Rowan Herndon, brothers, built this store building, probably in the fall of 1831, and engaged in the mercantile business. James Herndon, at that time a bachelor and boarding at the Rutledge Tavern, sold his interest to William F. Berry early in the summer of 1832,and later in the same year, Rowan sold his interest to Abraham Lincoln, taking Lincoln's note in payment. About January,1833, Berry and Lincoln purchased the store of Reuben Radford and moved across the street to the second Berry-Lincoln store. Lincoln served as postmaster from May 7,1833 to May 30,1836, when the office was discontinued. It was re-established as a Post Office, February 12, 1940 as Lincoln's New Salem Illinois.


Post Office Building
Title:
Post Office Building
Lincoln's New Salem Illinois (IL), Chrome unused

Description:
First Berry-Lincoln Store. James and Rowan Herndon, brothers, and cousins of William Herndon, who was later the law partner of Lincoln and one of his biographers, built this store building probably in the fall of 1831, and engaged in the mercantile business. James Hernton, at that time a bachelor, and boarding at the Rutledge Tavern, sold his interest to William Berry early in the summer of 1832, and later in the same year Rowan sold his interest to Abraham Lincoln, taking Lincoln's note in payment. About January, 1833, Berry and Lincoln's purchased the store of Reuben Radford and moved across the street to the second Berry-Lincoln store. It is presumed that this store was then used as a residence for awhile. Since three stores have been restore and equipped, it was through best to use this building as a Post Office and to house the exhibit showing in graphic form a record of the restoration of New Salem. Lincoln's New Salem Enterprises, Inc Petersburg, Illinois.





Total: 16 Items