First Berry-Lincoln Store, U.S. Post Office, New Salem State Park

Sold

Stock #: 13435
Type: Postcard
Era: Chrome
City: Lincoln's New Salem
State: Illinois (IL)
Publisher: Lincoln's New Salem Enterprises, Inc.
Postmark: 1967
PM City: Lincoln's New Salem
PM State: IL
Stamp: 5c
Size: 3.5" x 5.25" (9 x 14 cm)
Other Categories:

Comments & Reviews
Additional Details:
James and Rowan Herndon, brothers, built this store building probably in the fall of 1831, and engaged in the mercantile business. James Herndon, at that time a bachelor and boarding at the Rutledge Tavern, sold his interest to William F. Berry early in the summer of 1882, and later in the same year Rowan sold his interest to Abraham Lincoln, taking Lincoln's note in payment. Abraham Lincoln's served as Postmaster in New Salem from May 7, 1833 to May 30, 1836, when the office was discontinued. Post Office re-established Feb. 12, 1940 as Lincoln's New Salem, Illinois

Post a public comment, question or review:

Reviews, Comments & Questions:

  • 2007-07-05 06:33:42 - robert:
    hi. nice blog.
  • 2007-09-23 10:41:50 - robert:
    hi. nice blog . thanks.