First Berry-Lincoln Store. U. S. Post Office, New Salem State Park

Price: $5.95
  

Stock #: 234507
Type: Postcard
Era: Chrome
City: Lincoln's New Salem
State: Illinois (IL)
Publisher: New Salem Enterprises
Size: 3.5" x 5.5" (9 x 14 cm)
Other Categories:

Make an Offer Comments & Reviews Send Print
Additional Details:
James and Rowan Herndon, brothers, built this store building, probably in the fall of 1831, and engaged in the mercantile business. James Herndon, at that time a bachelor and boarding at the Rutledge Tavern, sold his interest to William F. Berry early in the summer of 1832, and later in the same year, Rowan sold his interest to Abraham Lincoln, taking Lincoln's note in payment. About January, 1833, Berry and Lincoln purchased the store of Reuben Radford and moved across the street to the second Berry-Lincoln store. Lincoln served as Postmaster from May 7, 1833 to May 30, 1836, when the office was discontinued. it was re-established as a Post Office, February 12, 1940 as Lincoln's New Salem, Illinois
Dexter Press

Post a public comment, question or review: