Categories

Princeton University Pennant and Cannon

Princeton University Pennant and Cannon School Pennants
Original:
Sold

Stock #: 471433
Type: Postcard
Era: Divided Back
Publisher: Beckman Co.
Postmark: 1977 Jan-3
PM City: Princeton
PM State: NJ
Philatelic Notes: First Day Issue
Size: 3.5" x 5.5" (9 x 14 cm)
Other Categories:
Additional Details:
The history of Princeton's cannons. Left at Princeton, NJ by the English Army after the Revolutionary War. During the war with Great Britain in 1812, the largest cannon was taken to New Brunswick, NJ, as protection from the expected attack of the British Squadron. The cannon was brought back to Princeton July 3rd, 1836. It was later placed upon the campus, where it now peacefully reposes, serving as a target for the clay pipes of the graduating class when they have finished their last smoke together at the close of the Cannon Exercises which are held each year around the cannon.

Purchase Scan Send Print