First Berry-Lincoln Store, Now U.S. Post Office, New Salem State Park

Sold

Stock #: 215120
Type: Postcard
Era: Linen
City: New Salem
State: Illinois (IL)
Publisher: Ira E. Owen
Size: 3.5" x 5.5" (9 x 14 cm)
Other Categories:

Purchase Scan Comments & Reviews Send
Additional Details:
Berry and Lincoln bought this store in 1833 from the Herndon Brothers. Abraham Lincoln served as Postmaster in New Salem from May 7, 1833 to May 30, 1836, when the office was discontinued. Post Office re-established Feb. 12, 1940 as Lincoln's New Salem, Ill. Historic New Salem State Park is located near Petersburg on Highways 97 and 123 about 17 miles northwest of Springfield, Illinois

Post a public comment, question or review: