Berry-Lincoln Store, New Salem State Park

Sold

Stock #: 215119
Type: Postcard
Era: Linen
City: New Salem
State: Illinois (IL)
Publisher: Ira E. Owen
Size: 3.5" x 5.5" (9 x 14 cm)

Purchase Scan Comments & Reviews Send
Additional Details:
George Warburton, in 1830, erected New Salem's only sheathed structure. Later the Chrisman Brothers and Reuben Radford also operated stores here. In January, 1833, William F. Berry and Abraham Lincoln moved here from their first store (now the U.S. Post Office). Lincoln served a portion of his postmastership in both buildings. During the early summer of 1833 Lincoln sold his interest to Berry, who later sold the enterprise to the Trent Brothers. The Trents suddenly left the country and Berry resumed the business until he died in 1835. The large room was the store proper, while the rear lean-to served as a store room and, for a time, as Lincoln's bedroom. Historic New Salem State Park is located near Petersburg on Highways 97 and 123 about 17 miles northwest of Springfield, Illinois

Post a public comment, question or review: