An aerial view of St. Lorenz Lutheran Church in the foreground with the city of Frankenmuth beyond. Interesting to note, the first settlers and the town itself originally revolved around St. Lorenz Church; however, the townspeople pulled up roots and relocated after the dam was built and a sawmill erected on the Cass River in the current downtown area. St. Lorenz Lutheran Church is the oldest Lutheran Church in the Saginaw Valley and one of the oldest in the State of Michigan founded in 1845. Frankenmuth, Michigan . . where the gemuetlichkeit of Old Bavaria blends with the hospitality of New America. Located 6 minutes off 1-75 Expressway at Birch Run or Bridgeport Exit.