Beginning as early as 1772 Spanish governors and
buckskin-clad frontiersmen traversed the trails along
the Mojave River. In the late 1840's the covered
wagons were hauling freight to the west. in 1851
a Mormon caravan of 500 home-seekers passed
through the valley to start the town of San Bernardino.
In 1885 the first train of the Southern California Rail-
way (Santa Fe subsidiary) ran from San Bernardino
over the Cajon Pass and on to Barstow. The highway
was paved from the Cajon Summit to Victorville in
1922.' The Town has been known as Mormon Crossing;
Victor, honoring J. N. Victor construction superinten-
dent of the Sante Fe through the Cajon Pass; and in
1901 the name was changed to Victorville. : . M.P.
Photo Color by Merle Porter
Copyrighted & Published by Royal Pictures, Colton, California