C-44 Aerial View of Dupont's "Orlon" Plant, Camden, S. C.
AERIAL VIEW OF DU PONT'S ORLON PLANT, CAMDEN, S. C.
In the foreground is the large plant which makes "Orlon" fiber in
staple form and the background shows the continuous filament
plant, which was completed in 1950. The staple plant went into
commercial operation in May 1952. Located on a tract of land five
miles south of Camden on the Wateree River, the plant employs
around 2,000 people, the majority of whom are native southerners
with 30 per cent being Camden Residents. "Orlon" acrylic fiber
is used extensively in the textile industry for suitings, curtain
fabrics, dress goods and industrial filters.