|Salem is named after Salem, N.J. and is known as the City of Friends whence came a body of them in 1806. Others followed from Pennsylvania and Ohio. The original Town Hall was built in 1847 and was the scene of many fiery anti-slavery meetings during the Civil War. Salem was known as the main station of the underground R.R. In the war between the states. The fire department is also housed here.