129-Indian Mission at Middle Village, Lake Shore Drive in Northern Michigan
This Church was built in 1742 by St. lg-
nasius, a Jesuit missionary at Waw-go-naw-
ki-sa" which means "Crooked Tree.' Later
the name was changed to Middle Village.
At one time this village was the largest one
in the region of the Great Lakes.
Saw this mission.
MRS C. C. GRAHAM, PETOSKEY, MICH.