Categories

Pennsylvania 1361

Pennsylvania 1361 Locomotives
Price:
 
$14.95

  

Stock #: 614923
Type: Large Format Postcard
Publisher: Audio Visual Designs
Size: 6" x 9" (15.25 x 23 cm)

Print
Additional Details:
The first K4s was built in the railroad's Juniata Shops, Altoona, Pa, in 1914 and numbered 1737. The 4-6-2 underwent exhaustive testing both on the road and in the shop's test plant. Not a super-power machine, the Pacific was a straight forward design, hand fired with screw reverse but superheated. Originally the locomotive was equipped with a square cased headlight and a wooden pilot. After three years, in 1917, Juniata Shops started turning out more of these tough steeds. By the late 1920s the last of 425 class K4s Pacific steam locomotives were built. K4s 1361 was famous as it was the Pacific that was placed on Horseshoe Curve for exhibition. Dedication was on June 8, 1957. After years of display the locomotive was removed to Conrail's shops for restoration. Its first trip was on April 12, 1987, to Bellefonte, Pa during the weekend of August 27 and 28, 1999. 1361 powered excursions for the York Chamber of Commerce in observation of 150 years of rail service. The Pacific is seen here by the York Pa. station on August 28, 1888.