Located in Northeastern Indiana, it is the seat of Allen County. The history of Fort Wayne goes back to 1670, when La Salle, the French explorer, visited the principal village of the Miami Indians located here. In 1686 the French built fort Miami. In 1794, the American General, "Mad" Anthony Wayne, defeated the Indians who had captured fort Miami. "Fort Wayne" was dedicated in Oct. 1794 and the area opened for settlement.