Power Plant - The stone building adjoining the south end of the riding hall contains the plant that supplies power and light for all the buildings on the Post, and heat for the main public buildings. The power room has two compound Corliss engines and one simple engine, three 125 - kilowatt direct current generators, three converters, and five transformers. The steam heating plant has four 440 horsepower water-tube boilers. The coal bunkers, located over the boiler room, have a capacity of 5,000 gross tons. Connected therewith are belt-conveyors and elevators that can unload sixty tons of coal per hour from cars on the power house railway spur. A masonry tunnel, 6 x 8 feet, containing steam pipes, and an electrical conduit system, leads from this plant to the main public buildings. The Bachelor Officers Quarters are in the large brick building just north of Cullum Memorial Hall. The building was completed in 1909. On the river side, it is seven stories high; it contains forty apartments. This building is not open to the public. The South Dock is near the West Shore Railway Station. Boats of the Hudson River Day Line and the Central Hudson passenger and freight line dock here regularly. No passenger steamers are allowed to dock on Sunday except by special permission. For small yachting parties, no special permit is required. The river at this point is 784 yards wide. Another dock for heavy freight is located on the north front of the Post. The West Shore Railroad was opened in 1883. One end of the tunnel, three-fifths of a mile long, which passes under the parade ground, is near the power plant. The trip form West Point to New York (via Weehawken and 42nd Street Ferry) takes about two hours.