Mount Holyoke College was founded in 1836 by Mary Lyon and opened in 1837 under the name of Mount Holyoke Female Seminary. The standard was continuously raised until a full college course was given, and in 1893 the name was changed to Mount Holyoke College. Only one degree (A.B.) is conferred. The campus includes 150 acres and the library contains 40,000 volumes.