Categories

Octagon House

Octagon House Washington District of Columbia
Price:
 
$15.95

  

Stock #: 437502
Type: Postcard
Era: Divided Back
City: Washington
State: District of Columbia (DC)
Publisher: W. B. Garrison
Size: 3.5" x 5.5" (9 x 14 cm)

Make an Offer Purchase Scan Send Print
Additional Details:
The Octagon House at the corner of 18th St. and New York Ave. is famous as the temporary White House. It was occupied by President James Madison after the British burned the White House in 1814, and the Treaty of Ghent which closed our second war with England, was signed within it. It was built in 1798 by Col. John Taylor among whose most frequent guests was Geo. Washington. The interior is elaborately finished. The original mantels, windows, and doors are in an excellent state of preservation, and two old cast iron wood stoves still stand in the niches prepared for them in the vestibule. It is now the permanent office of The American Institute of Architects.