Wilmington is situated at the junction of the Christina and Brandywine Rivers and is the County Seat of New Castle County, Delaware. In 1638 the first Swedish Expedition to the new world landed at the point on the Christina called "The rocks." Here they established Fort Christina, it was taken from them by the Dutch in 1655, who were, in return superseded by the English in 1664. Under Wm. Penn as governor it acquired the quake characteristics which to this day it has never lost.