South East Angle and Bastion, Old Fort Marion

South East Angle and Bastion, Old Fort Marion Florida


Stock #: 338495
Type: Postcard
Era: Divided Back
City: St. Augustine
State: Florida (FL)
County: St. Johns
Publisher: R. B. Allen
Size: 3.5" x 5.5" (9 x 14 cm)

Make an Offer Purchase Scan Send Print
Additional Details:
Fort Marion, an ancient fortress on the Matanzas River, is an important Spanish relic. It was originally built in 1565, destroyed in 1586 by Sir Francis Drake, and the present fort was finished in 1756. It has been called by the Spanish "San Marco" and by the English "St. John." On its accession to the U.S. it was named after a South Carolina patriot. Many captives were imprisoned here; two Seminole chiefs, the celebrated Osceola and Coacoochee were confined here seven years, but finally escaped
cart: 0