This home was built in 1857 by Alexander Jackson. Eight years later it was purchased by the City of Galena, furnished and presented to General U. S. Grant on his return of the Civil War. In 1904 the heirs of the Grant estate deeded it to the City as a memorial to their father. In 1932 it became a state memorial and is open to the public daily form 9A. M. to 5 P. M. admission Free.