Categories

Old Mission Church

Old Mission Church Mackinac Island Michigan
Price:
 
$8.95

  

Stock #: 261617
Type: Postcard
Era: Linen
City: Mackinac Island
State: Michigan (MI)
County: Mackinac
Publisher: G. H. Wickman
Size: 3.5" x 5.5" (9 x 14 cm)
Other Categories:

Make an Offer Purchase Scan Send Print
Additional Details:
Closely connected with the Mission House. Early in the last Century the Connecticut Missionary Society sent Rev. Wm. M. Ferry, a Presbyterian minister here, who in 1823 established a mission school for Indian children. The Mission House was built in 1825 and the church building was completed in 1830. Church and school flourished for only a short time and was abandoned and closed in 1837. In 1895 the property was acquired by certain visitors and residents and opened as the Union Chapel