View from Entrance Warren G. Harding Memorial

View from Entrance Warren G. Harding Memorial Marion Ohio


Stock #: 23775
Type: Postcard
Era: Linen
City: Marion
State: Ohio (OH)
County: Marion
Publisher: Buettin Sales Co.
Size: 3.5" x 5.5" (9 x 14 cm)

Purchase Scan Send Print
Additional Details:
This beautiful memorial erected in this city, 1926-1928, by popular subscription, from many thousand schools from every State in the Union, as well as by personal contributions. The Philippines and Alaska making responses-proportionately greater than any of the states. The building is 250 feet in circumference, 80 feet in diameter an 50 feet high. Fortyeight gigantic pillars symbolizing the fortyeight states, support the heavy circular roof. This structure is regarded as one of the finest examples of architecture in the country - its massive white Georgia marble columns adding great dignity. Total cost of building and grounds $700,000. Cornerstone laid May 30, 1926, many tokens being put in a sealed copper casket therein. President Harding died in San Francisco, Aug. 10, 1923, and Mrs. Florence Kling harding im Marion, Nov. 21, 1924. On Dec. 21, 1927, the bodies of President Harding and that of his wife were moved from the mausoleum in Marion cemetery and were placed in the hermetically sealed sarcophage in this beautiful building.