Boarding House

Boarding House Neihart Montana

Stock #: 230046
Type: Postcard
Era: Real Photo
City: Neihart
State: Montana (MT)
County: Cascade
Size: 3.5" x 5" (9 x 12 cm)

Purchase Scan Send Print
Additional Details:
In July 1881, three prospectors—James LeRoy Neihart, John O'Brien, and Richard Harley discovered silver near the present-day town of Neihart. In 1882, the town was large enough for the United States Post Office Department to establish a post office there. It also boasted a blacksmith's shop, a boarding house, restaurants, two saloons, and stables. About 50 houses had been built in Neihart, although many residents still lived in tents. From 1882 to 1929, about $16 million in silver was taken out of the area around Neihart