State House and Fountain, Farquhar Park

State House and Fountain, Farquhar Park York Pennsylvania


Stock #: 22963
City: York
State: Pennsylvania (PA)
County: York
Publisher: M. J. Shambaugh
Size: 3.5" x 5.5" (9 x 14 cm)

Purchase Scan Send Print
Additional Details:
This building, representing the old colonial Court House, was erected in Centre Square during the World War and was used by the York Co. committee for the sale of Liberty Bonds. Since the war it has been standing an Farquhar Park. York was originally settled by the Germans in 1729. The town was first named Yorktown, county seat of York County in 1749. First Court House was erected in Centre Square, 1756. Continental Congress being compelled to leave Philadelphia, held its sessions in this building from Sept, 17, 1777, to June 17, 1778. During this time York was the capitol of the United States.
cart: 0