The only imported Hindu temple in the United States was erected on the campus of Florida Southern College, at Lakeland, during the summer of 1938 as a memorial to the late Frederick B. Fisher, donor, who brought it from Benares. India, holy city of Hinduism. Hand-carved in 239 pieces from Indian sandstone, the interesting structure was painted pure white and set on a slope of the sixty-three acre citrus grove campus, overlooking Lake Hollingsworth. Comparatively small because followers of Hinduism worship singly instead of congregationally, the temple has the cross on the altar inside the temple. On each side of the cross on the altar inside the temple. On each side of the crosses is a candelabrum in which candles are burned at night.