|Series 116 |
The Detroit Post Office occupies the site from which in 1796 frowned the bastions of old Fort Shelby. The present great stone building was first occupied in 1897. The United States paid $ 401,258.38 for the site, $1,078,741.62 for the building and $33,000 for the furnishings. The United States court room on one of the upper floors is one of the finest halls of justice in the United States.