Misery Bay Showing Perry Monument and the U. S. S. "Wolverine." Erie, Pa. Perry Memorial Monument, commemorating the victory of commodore Oliver Hazard Perry's Flagship "Niagara" in the Battle of Lake Erie, September 10, 1813 was erected by the commonwealth of Pennsylvania at Crystal Point, in Misery Bay, September 10, 1926. Here is anchored the "Wolverine", (originally "Michigan") first iron warship, built in Erie and launched November 7, 1843. It served for many years as a naval training ship.