Categories

Dr. John Allen's Residence

Dr. John Allen's Residence New Salem Illinois
Price:
 
$3.95

  

Stock #: 13434
Type: Postcard
Era: Chrome
City: New Salem
State: Illinois (IL)
County: Pike
Publisher: Dunlap-Henline Publishers
Size: 3.5" x 5.5" (9 x 14 cm)

Send Print
Additional Details:
Doctor John Allen came to New Salem in 1830. In 1833 he built a three room log residence and on March 27, 1834, married Mary E. Moore. Because of his extensive practice he became one of New Salem's most prosperous citizens. He was a devout Presbyterian and established the village's first Sunday School and Temperance Society in his house. The Allens moved to Petersburg in 1838. The following year a tenant whose name now unknown lived in the cabin; the next two years the Traylor family occupied it and finally, in 1842, it was abandoned. The main room was the parlor, dining room and kitchen, the leanto served as a bedroom and the west room was used by the doctor as an office. In the background is the ox team and Conestoga wagon, and Rutledge Tavern