The Custis-Lee Mansion at Arlington, Va., was built in 1802 by Geo. Washington Parke Custis, adopted son of Geo. Washington. The Portico with its great Doric Columns was modeled after that of the Temple of Theseus at Athens. It stands on the brow of a till with the placid Potomac 200 feet below, the prospect from its porch being are of rare beauty. It has been the scene of lavish hospitality in Post-Revolutionary days when Lafayette was among its distinguished guests. It was afterwards the home of Robert E. Lee, whose wife was marry Custis, wherein they were married. When the Civil War came and Lee went to Richmond the Mansion was converted into headquarters for Federal troops and its grounds into a camp and a Military Cemetery. It is preserved as it was in the days of Custis and Lee.