The Quaker City. Carpenters hall, belonging to the master carpenters of Philadelphia, was used as the meeting place of the First Continental Congress in 1774. At 320 Chestnut St. Historic New Hall, reconstructed to house the Marine Corps Memorial Museum was originally built in 1791and served as the country's first War Department Headquarters under President Washington. At 322 Chestnut St.