McMahon's Mill


Stock #: 107214
Type: Postcard
Era: Chrome
City: Williamsport
State: Maryland (MD)
County: Washington
Publisher: Air Photographics Inc.
Size: 3.5" x 5.5" (9 x 14 cm)

Comments & Reviews
Additional Details:
In 1778 the Mill was built on the Downey Branch stream at the Big Slackwater area of the Potomac river (the 88.1 mile marker of the C & O Canal). It produced flour, feed and plaster. In 1922 it was closed due to floods. Later, in the 1920's the original wooden overshot wheel was replaced by a steel wheel and the waterpower was utilized to generate electricity. The Mill has been known under various names; Shank's Mill, Charles Mill, Avis Mill, Shafer's Old Flouring Mills, Galloway's Mill and Cedar Grove Mill.

Post a public comment, question or review: