Burnett's Motel & Dining Room
Title:
Burnett's Motel & Dining Room
Edgefield South Carolina (SC), Chrome unused


Edgefield County Court House
Title:
Edgefield County Court House
Edgefield South Carolina (SC), Chrome unused

Description:
Erected in 1839 from plans by Robert Mills, designer of the Washington Monument. The grounds and court room have been the scene of cultural, political and patriotic gatherings significant to the entire state. A granite marker in the city square bears the names of ten governors and five lieutenant governors who were native to or residents of Edgefield County. The shaft to Confederate Dead is one of the early memorials of the state to commemorate the Southern Cause. Photographed by Ernest Ferguson for the Civic League, Edgefield, S. C



Trinity Episcopal Church
Title:
Trinity Episcopal Church
Edgefield South Carolina (SC), Chrome unused

Description:
In September 1835, Edmund B. Bacon deeded property for Trinity Episcopal Church and the church was built immediately afterward. Four handsome memorial windows, marble tablets and other gifts to Trinity make this an interesting place for visitors


Edgefield Methodist Church, 309 Norris Street
Title:
Edgefield Methodist Church, 309 Norris Street
Edgefield South Carolina (SC), Chrome unused

Description:
Edgefield Methodism was founded about 1820 at Pottersville, one mile north of the present city limits. The property on which the church now stands was deeded in 1841 by the Rev. Joseph Moore to nine trustees. A potrait of Rev. Moore, prepared by Edward Deciliux, hangs in the church. The cornerstone of the present church was laid on May 26, 1891.



St. Mary's Church
Title:
St. Mary's Church
Edgefield South Carolina (SC), Chrome unused

Description:
Begun in 1858, this granite structure is one of the oldest Catholic Churches in the State and is of considerable interest.


Edgefield Presbyterian Church
Title:
Edgefield Presbyterian Church
Edgefield South Carolina (SC), Chrome unused

Description:
Edgefield Presbyterian Church was organized on May 26, 1877 in the Court House. A memorial tablet is to Mrs. Mattie Wardlaw Hill, mother of Presbyterianism in Edgefield County.



Trinity Episcopal Church
Title:
Trinity Episcopal Church
Edgefield South Carolina (SC), Chrome unused

Description:
In September 1835, Edmund B. Bacon deeded property for Trinity Episcopal church and the church was built immediately afterward. Four handsome memorial windows, marble tablets and other gifts to Trinity make this an interesting place for visitors.


Edgefield Presbyterian Church
Title:
Edgefield Presbyterian Church
Edgefield South Carolina (SC), Chrome unused

Description:
WAS ORGANISED ON MAY 26, 1877 IN THE COURT HOUSE. A MEMORIAL TABLETS IS TO MRS. MATTIE WARDLAW HILL. MOTHER OF PRESBYTERIANSM IN THE EDGEFIELD COUNTY.



St. Mary'S Church
Title:
St. Mary'S Church
Edgefield South Carolina (SC), Chrome unused

Description:
BEGUN IN 1858, THIS GRANITE STRUCTURE IS ONE OF THE OLDEST CATHOLIC CHURCHES IN THE STATE AND IS OF CONSIDERABLE INTEREST


Brooks-Tompkins Home
Title:
Brooks-Tompkins Home
Edgefield South Carolina (SC), Chrome unused

Description:
This site was chosen before 1819 by Whitfield Brooks, father of Preston S. Brooks, for his residence in Edgefield Village. The columned Georgian Classic homes of Buncombe Street gave it the name of Edgefield's "Appian Way." One of five signatures of Edgefield delegates to the Secession Convention is Col. James Tompkins.



Halcyon Grove
Title:
Halcyon Grove
Edgefield South Carolina (SC), Chrome unused

Description:
Built and named by Governor Andrew Pickens, son of Revolutionary General Andrew Pickens, prior to 1817. Governor Pickens' son, Francis W. Pickens, was first Confederate War Governor of South Carolina; and former Ambassador to Russia. Handcarved fan windows are above double front doors, opening on the spacious verandas.




Total: 11 Items