The Cathedral of St. Peter and St. Paul is located on 18th St. between Race and Vine Sts. It is a splendid building surmounted by a hue dome 51 feet in diameter and 156 feet above the pavement. The interior is cruciform and designed in elaborate Roman-Corinthian Style. The corner stone was laid September 6, 1848 and the first services held on Easter Sunday, 1863. The Cathedral was dedicated November 20, 1864.