Roman Arch And Runway In Fort Marion

Roman Arch And Runway In Fort Marion St. Augustine Florida


Stock #: 57357
Type: Postcard
Era: Divided Back
City: St. Augustine
State: Florida (FL)
County: St. Johns
Publisher: Rogerro & Pomar
Size: 3.5" x 5.5" (9 x 14 cm)

Purchase Scan Send Print
Additional Details:
Fort Marion, originally built in 1565, was destroyed in 1586 by Sir Francis Drake, and the present fort was finished in 1756. Many celebrated captives were imprisoned here; the closed door on the right-hand side is the one that leads to the dungeon where, in 1836, the skeletons and the two large iron cages were found by a U. S. Military Engineer.