Fort Independence, Castle Island

3.5" x 5.5" (9 x 14 cm)
Stock #:

Oldest fortified military post in United States. Built by Governor Winthrop in 1634. For over 200 years main bulwark of nation; often called little Colonial Gibraltar. Prior to 1672, forts on island called the Castle. In 1672 destroyed by fire. 1674 rebuilt. In 1701, replaced by brick fort, becoming strongest British military post in America. Burned by them in evacuation of Boston--March 17, 1776. Restored same year by Paul Revere. Island ceded to U.S. by Massachusetts in 1798. In 1799 named Fort Independence by President John Adams. From 1785 to 1805 used as State Prison. In all, six different forts built. Present on mostly underground; looks like top of island. No longer used as garrisoned fort. Use of island given (with provision for recall) as part of Boston park system in 1891. Wooden fort bridge built. Island became welcomed haven for mothers and children during warm weather. Construction of roadway, replacing the foot bridge, completed in 1930. Made this historical spot easily accessible for the motoring public. In 1941 (World War II) Castle Island closed to public. Reopened in 1948. Compliments of Dan Sullivan Castle Island Concession

You can also:

Related Items: