Chaves County Court House

Chaves County Court House Roswell New Mexico


Stock #: 49252
Type: Postcard
Era: Chrome
City: Roswell
State: New Mexico (NM)
County: Chaves
Publisher: F. J. Schaaf
Size: 3.5" x 5.5" (9 x 14 cm)
Other Categories:

Send Print
Additional Details:
In 1869 two adobe buildings were constructed at this stop on the Old Chisholm Trail to serve as general store, post office, and hotel. On March 4, 1871, Van Smith filed the first claim, 3 years later he was appointed postmaster, and the place was named Roswell for his father. Capt, Joseph C. Lea Came in 1877 and bought Smith's holdings, and a year later his father-in-law, Major W. W. Wildy bought out Wilburn and two other settlers, and presented this property to his daughter, Sally Wildy Lea.
cart: 0