Fergus' Ark Restaurant - Foot of Princess Street

3.25" x 5.5" (9 x 14 cm)
Other Categories:
Stock #:

The Ark was built by the Newport Shipbuilding Co., in Wilmington, N.C., and was launched September, 1922. She was christened the General Frederick C. Hodgkins. She was commissioned into the service of the Army to transport troops and freight between Wilmington and Ft. Caswell. In the late 20's the Ark was used as a banana boat plying between this country and Venezuela. During this time it has been reported that a Cuban revolutionary plot was hatched by some of the crew members. During the 30's the boat was moored in Biscayne Bay, Fla., and used as a gambling boat. Acquired by the U.S. Coast Guard in 1941, it was returned to Wilmington, its home port, and was used as a Quarter Boat for Coast Guard personnel in the Wilmington Area, being moored immediately south of its present dock. Hundreds of Coast Guardsmen received training for overseas duty while stationed aboard. In 1946 the boat was taken by the U.S. Maritime Commission and used as their office until permanent offices were completed at the Lay-Up Basin. Purchased by Eldridge Fergus, its present owner, in September, 1951, five months were spent in converting it to a Floating Restaurant

You can also:

Related Items: