Categories

Handy House, Built in 1714

Handy House, Built in 1714 South Westport Massachusetts
Original:
Sold

Stock #: 309901
Type: Postcard
Era: Linen
City: South Westport
State: Massachusetts (MA)
County: Bristol
Size: 3.25" x 5.5" (9 x 14 cm)

Purchase Scan Send Print
Additional Details:
HANDY HOUSE, BUILT IN 1714 HIX'S BRIDGE, SOUTH WESTPORT, MASS. This dwelling of unusual length, on the West side of the Noquochoke River, at Hix Bridge, combines three types of construction. The farm in 1714 was given by the wealthy George Codman to his only child, Elizabeth White, wife of William, when the East third of the present house had been built. In 1794 the property was sold by the White family to Dr. Eli Handy, who then added to the house, on the West, the Central section. His son, Dr. James H. Handy, came into possession of the house thirty years later, 1824, and built the West third. The interior construction plainly suggests the successive ages of architecture