Categories

West Chester University, Philips Memorial Building

West Chester University, Philips Memorial Building Pennsylvania
Original:
Sold

Stock #: 293506
Type: Postcard
Era: Continental Chrome
City: West Chester
State: Pennsylvania (PA)
County: Chester
Artist: Robert Gordon
Size: 4.25" x 6" (11 x 15.25 cm)
Other Categories:

Send Print
Additional Details:
Philips Memorial Building, named after George M. Philips (principal 1881-1920), was opened in 1927 and is now on the National Register for Historic Places. Designed by Walter F. Price, the exterior is fashioned from Hammer-dressed Foxcroft Wissahickon Schist, a local stone commonly used for buildings in the Collegiate Gothic style. Thanks to the generous alumni and friends, extensive preservation and renovations were completed in 1999. Special features include: the whispering archway; the distinctive gargoyles, coats of arms and figures of western civilization; the 2000-volume Philips Autographed Library; the 1200-seat Emily K. Asplundh Concert Hall and the Presidential office suite