Search

Categories

Place Of The Governors

Place Of The Governors Santa Fe New Mexico
Original:
Sold

Stock #: 26807
Type: Postcard
Era: Linen
City: Santa Fe
State: New Mexico (NM)
County: Santa Fe
Publisher: J. R. Wills
Size: 3.5" x 5.5" (9 x 14 cm)

Purchase Scan Send Print
Additional Details:
Santa Fe was the original site of an Indian village when the first Spanish colony was planted in new Mexico by Onate at San Gabriel. Here he founded his Capitol in 1598, near the San Juan Indian pueblo. In 1605 it was removed to Santa Fe, where it has remained to this date. The Palace of the Governors was built soon after the founding of the village of Santa Fe under the Spanish flag. Was abandoned during the Indian Rebellion of 1680 - reconquered by De Vargas in 1692 and remained under Spanish rule until the Independence of Mixico in 1821, continued under the Mexican flag until the American occupation of 1846. Under the Confederate flag for two weeks during the Civil War, when it was retaked by the Federal Army. Here Gov. Lew Wallace wrote the latter part of Ben Hur Was occupied by the various Governors until the building of the present State Capitol. It is now the Museum of the School of American Research.