Historic Old Fort Cumberland was erected in 1754 as a trading post by The Ohio Cornpany and named Fort Cumberland in honor of the Duke of Cumberland, head of the English Army. From here George Washington at the head of the Virginia Militia joined General Edward Braddock at the head of British Regular Troops and set out for Fort DuQuesne near what is now Pittsburgh. This force was ambushed by French Troops and Indians at Turtle Creek and was defeated. Braddock being killed Washington returned to Fort Cumberland with the remnant of troops where he remained till in command of a larges force in 1756 he marched to Fort DuQuesne and captured it, reclaiming for England all lands heretofore hold by France. The Cabin in which Washington lived stands in Riverside Park. In 1794 Washington again occupied this building at the Fort when as President he reviewed the troops sent to put down the Whisky Rebellion in Pennsylvania.