South East Angle and Bastion, Old Fort Marion, Redoubt and Sallyport on lower left, Moat in foreground.
| Ford Marion, an ancient fortress on the Matanzas River, is an important Spanish relic. It was originally built in 1565, destoryed in 1586 by Sir Francis Drake, and the present fort was finished in 1756. It has been called by the Spanish "San Marco" and by the Engligh after a South Carolina patriot. Many captives were imprisoned here: two Seminole chiefs, the celebrated Osceola and Coacoochee were confined here seven years, but finally escaped.|