This stately building was the fifth capitol of Illinois. The cornerstone was laid on July 4, 1837, and the building was completed in 1853. It is rich in Lincoln associations. Abraham Lincoln, in addition to serving in the legislature, appeared and argued many cases before the Supreme Court, located in the edifice, and made frequent use of the State and Supreme Court Libraries. In the building, he first took issue with Stephen Douglas in his famous "House Divided Against Itself" speech, here were his headquarters during his 1860 campaign for the Presidency.