Search

Categories

Interior Warren G. Harding Memorial

Interior Warren G. Harding Memorial Marion Ohio
Original:
Sold

Stock #: 105152
Type: Postcard
Era: Linen
City: Marion
State: Ohio (OH)
County: Marion
Publisher: Wiant's Book Store
Size: 3.5" x 5.5" (9 x 14 cm)

Purchase Scan Send Print
Additional Details:
This beautiful Memorial was erected by popular subscription, 1926-1928, with contributions from many thousands of school children from every State in the Union. The Philippines and Alaska made responses - proportionately greater than any of the states. The building is 250 feet in circumference, 80 feet in diameter and 50 feet high. Forty-eight gigantic pillars symbolizing the forty-eight gigantic pillars symbolizing the forty-eight states support the heavy circular roof. This structure is regarded as one of the finest examples of architecture in the country - its massive white Georgia marble columns adding great dignity. Total cost of Memorial and grounds $777,000. Cornerstone laid May 30, 1926. President Harding died in San Francisco, Aug. 10, 1923, and Mrs. Florence Kling Haring in Marion. Nov. 21, 1924. On Dec. 21, 1927 the bodies of President, and Mrs. Harding were moved from the mausoleum in Marion cemetery and placed in the hermetically sealed sarcophagus here.
cart: 0