First College in Texas, 1845. Chartered by Republic of Texas. In The "Piney Woods" at Nacogdoches. The College first occupied the Red House on Pillar Street, and, later, the present high school campus. Called "Washington Square." On this site two buildings were built, one of which is shown in this color photograph It is the only building of a school established by the "Republic of Texas" still standing.